Monday, January 5, 2015

Head Games

Noggin by John Corey Whaley
New York : Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2014.
340 p. ; 22 cm.

I wasn't sure I'd enjoy this one as much as I did, but when I saw it was a National Book Award finalist, I thought I'd give it a try.  I'm glad I did; it was really fun (and thought provoking).  Whaley has a great premise for his novel - Travis Coates, a 16 yr old young man dying of cancer opts for an experimental procedure to cryogenically freeze his head in the hopes that in 10 or 20 years he can be revived with a donor body.  The procedure works, and instead of having to wait 10 or 20 years - he is revived after just 5.

Great, right?  Not so fast.  The novel then unfolds with all the difficulties that Travis must face: his beloved girlfriend has moved on, his friends are in college, he's just a sophomore in high school, and he's a celebrity news phenom.

This novel is able to be fun, thoughtful, imaginative, and tenderhearted.  There is a lot to think of as one reads Noggin - the fleeting nature of time, the process of grieving (and ungrieving!), the nature of relationships, maturity, friendship, and - of course - love.

Noggin is definitely a book I'll be recommending to interested readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment