Tuesday, January 31, 2012

All Sweet & No Bite

The Tequila Worm by Viola Canales
New York : Wendy Lamb, c2005.
1st trade pbk. ed. 
199 p. ; 21 cm.

I mentioned to a teacher that I was reading Canales' The Tequila Worm, and she asked me what I thought of it.  "Well...," I hesitated, "...the writing is good, but there's just no edge to it; it reminds me of a Norman Rockwell painting - wonderfully crafted, interesting, but overly sentimental..." And as I finished the novel, I  kept thinking how I would have enjoyed it so much more if there were even just a a touch of cynicism, a hint of real irreverence, or a bit of critical detachment.  Instead the entire novel is an homage to a squeaky clean idealization of barrio life in McAllen, TX - in the 70s(?).

My criticism aside, the writing is quick and observant, and the values portrayed in the story of quite admirable - family loyalty, the bonds of friendship, importance of cultural identity and rituals, respect for difference, and the value of education.

My favorite part of the novel was the final third of the narrative, when the main character, Sofia - leaves home to attend an elite college-prep boarding school on a full scholarship. At the school, Sofia has to deal with homesickness and class/race discrimination from some of her classmates, and the conflicts she feels between her ambitions to move up in the world versus her sadness at leaving behind the small community of her barrio.

The novel would be an excellent middle school pick for classroom use, but I'm not sure how well it would go over with senior high school students.

No comments:

Post a Comment