Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bad Scientist Equals Bad Monster

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
New York: Signet Classic, c[2000]1963.
212 p. ; 21 cm.

So I finally got around to reading this classic of British literature and of the horror genre. I enjoyed reading it, but did find that a lot of the writing was quite overwrought - consider this little excerpt:
"My abhorrence of this fiend cannot be conceived. When I thought of him I gnashed my teeth, my eyes became inflamed, and revenge burst all bounds of moderation."
However, in spite of the dated feel of the tone, the plot is fun and compelling. There is also quite a bit to think on regarding the relation of humans to their exploitation of nature through science and the relation of the artist to what they create. Considering the monster, there is also much to think about regarding alienation, existential despair, and the cruelty of the human experience.

Finally, one has to respect the originality of the plot and its development in the hands of the Mary Shelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment